Auxiliary DC Power Systems & Power Automation Software for Power Stations, Transmission & Distribution Substations
The function of an Auxiliary DC Power System in a substation is to provide a reliable and independent source of power for protection, control, monitoring and communications functions at the station, so that in the event of the loss of the primary supply the substation control systems that require energy to operate can still do so safely. Switching breakers is the first thing that comes to mind when someone says DC POWER SYSTEM in power utilities as the major loads connected to the DC system are the trip and close coils of circuit breakers.
There are some other typical loads that are also important when you are sizing your battery charger or DC UPS, such as
- Power supplies of electronic relay protection ( busbar differential protection, high speed distance protection..)
- Telecontrol systems, automation and signalling units,
- SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) system
- Measurement and monitoring units
- Disturbance Recorders (Generally installed at interconnectors with other authorities and major generation and renewable generation sites)
- Power transformers cooling fans
- Emergency access lighting and alarm systems
- MPLS Cabinets ( Edge device, routers and protection communications equipment)
- Communication equipment ( microwave networks, VHF Radio repeaters sites…)
There are many considerations when designing a substation, but the main ones are:
Therefore any component in the substation should be selected with those features in mind.
Main Components of a DC Power System
- VRLA Batteries ( Low maintenance Valve Regulated Lead Acid are usually used for this application)
- Battery Chargers ( We recommend using modular switch mode rectifier systems / DC UPS )
- Industrial grade DC to DC Converters
- DC to AC Inverters ( Also called DC to AC Converters)
- Battery Racks ( Can be internal or external depending on the specific requirements)
- Diodes for N+1 Redundancy Systems, normally deployed in terminal switching stations for protection and control ( 110V Battery Chargers & 220VDC Battery Chargers)
- Battery monitoring systems
- Maintenance bypass for critical AC loads
Why DC Power Conversion Solutions from Helios Power Solutions?
Our design and sales departments work together with consultants, electrical contractors and end-customers to provide a turnkey solution which will not only meet the immediate requirements but also future requirements.
All of our custom build systems are fully assembled in our factory by experienced manufacturing personnel enabling us to have 100% control over the final product.
Customer’s feedback, especially from the maintenance and engineering department has enriched our knowledge and improved significantly our designs and procedures over the years thus allowing us to address concerns such as poor retrofit installation, scalability, time-consuming maintenance and space restrictions.
As a result, Helios Power Solutions has consolidated its name in the Australasian region as one of the main engineering providers of Industrial DC Power and Backup Systems. We invite you to check out some of the Battery Charger Systems designed and integrate by HPS.Fully Customised DC Power Systems Brochure
Modular & Redundant Battery Chargers For Six Electrical Substations In Bangladesh
At Helios, we had the opportunity to design, manufacture and test 6 Convection cooled & Modular 1+1 Redundancy 48V 50A Battery Chargers Systems which will be baking up the SCADA/EMS & Telecom NMS of the power Grid company of Bangladesh. Keep watching the video and find out our integrated and customizable DC Systems Solutions.
The dual voltage CAB907 is able to supply 110VDC and 24VDC output voltage in a 21U cabinet. This customized DC System was designed to power and backup the DC Auxiliary loads of a 110kV/33kV transmission substation of one of the electricity and generation companies in New Zealand.
This charging system comprises of 110VDC and a 24VDC charger each with its own controller and rectifier sub-rack configured for redundancy with CSB409 load output diodes and separate battery racks.
- 21U wall mount cabinet
- Two 3 Phase Mains Input
- Chargers configured for redundancy with output diodes
- 230VAC Cabinet Fan
- Remote monitoring and programming with a webpage interface
- SNMP v2.5 via Ethernet
- Email reporting
Switching Breakers in Medium Voltage Substations
The Sol Series Battery Charger system is an optimal solution for Power Utilities when the requirement is the protection of electrical substations.
The trip and close coils of circuit breakers in medium and high voltage substation are the main application of DC POWER SYSTEMS in electrical power utilities.
CAB733 is a 2.2kW 110VDC convection cooled float charger in a 12U 19” Wall Mount cabinet. The system comprises of a CXC HP controller, HV-ADIO unit, two 1.1kW 125VDC rectifiers in a SOL series 6U 19” rectifier rack with AC distribution and a 3U 19” DC distribution panel. Two CAN cables connect the controller to the rectifier rack and the rectifier rack to the HV-ADIO on a CAN communication bus.
- 2kW 110 VDC float Charger
- Two 1.1kW Hot Swappable rectifiers
- Fully programmable touch screen controller
- 12U 19” Wall Mount Cabinet
- Single Phase 230VAC input protected by surge protection monitored by the system
- 32A 2 pole Battery Breaker monitored by the system
- 32A DC Output Breaker monitored by the system
- DC High, Battery Low, AC Mains High/Low, Rectifier Fail, System Major Earth Fault and Controller Fail Programmable alarms on voltage free relay contacts
We Build Long-term Relationships
SOME OF OUR CLIENTS
Power systems are critical infrastructure that plays an essential role in providing electricity to homes, businesses, and industries, supporting modern lifestyles and driving economic growth. Power automation software is crucial in this effort, as it helps monitor, control, optimize, and maintain various power systems. It is used in wind and solar farms, hydroelectric power plants, transmission and distribution substations, and thermal power plants, enhancing system reliability, efficiency, and safety.
By using power automation software, remote operations become possible, and data-driven decision-making is facilitated, ensuring smooth operation and effective management.
Some important considerations for selecting Power Automation Software are:
- System Integration: Compatibility with different industrial communication protocols and industry standards is crucial for effective data exchange and interoperability.
- Scalability and Flexibility: It must be scalable to handle increasing data volumes and capable of adapting to new technologies and emerging standards.
- Real-time Monitoring and Control: It should offer intuitive interfaces, clear visualizations, and configurable dashboards to facilitate efficient monitoring and decision-making.
- Data Management and Analytics: Advanced analytics tools allows to analyse historical and real-time data, detect patterns, and generate actionable insights for optimizing power system operations.
- Compliance with Standards and Regulations: Power automation software should adhere to relevant industry standards, regulations, and cybersecurity guidelines. Compliance with standards ensures interoperability, compatibility, and the ability to meet regulatory requirements.
- Support: Comprehensive documentation and user support resources should be provided with the software. technical support offers prompt and knowledgeable assistance, ensuring quick issue resolution and customer satisfaction.
Why Helios Power Solutions Automation Software Solutions?
As leaders in the critical infrastructure sector, Helios acknowledges the imperative for modernization and automation in the electrical grid. Our team of engineers work together with consultants, electrical contractors, end-customers, and our partner Axon Group to provide a comprehensive range of Power Systems Automation solutions delivers a diverse selection of innovative, customizable, and user-friendly industrial software.
From Communication Gateway and SCADA/HMI systems to Comtrade file reading systems, Backup management software, and Industrial protocol test simulators, we equip you with a complete toolkit to enhance the efficiency and reliability of your operations.
Seamless integration with your existing devices and systems is of paramount importance to us. That’s why we provide solutions that support multiple industrial communication protocols, including DNP3, IEC-60870-5-104, ICCP, secure ICCP, and the globally recognized IEC 61850 standard for digital substations. Our products are meticulously designed to enhance compatibility and optimize performance, empowering you to unlock the full potential of your power infrastructure.
With Helios Power Solutions’ expertise and Axon Group’s industry-leading technology, you can confidently anticipate enhanced efficiency, improved reliability, and seamless integration within your power grid operations.Power Automation Software
Recommended DC Products for Power Utility Applications
Recommended Posts for Power Utility Applications
Comments are closed